In the Beginning
During the winter of 1920 interested farmers from all over the county met in several different locations to discuss the organizing of a Cook County Farm Bureau. Meetings were held at Arlington Heights, Des Plaines and Blue Island. Later in the year another meeting was held to officially launch the Cook County Farm Bureau and elect a Board of Directors. Mr. H.A. Dooley was elected President; Gust Termunde, Vice President; Louis Wetterman, Secretary; George Henke, Treasurer; and Adam Schilling, G. Ruff, Frank Dickman, Herman Schwake, and Dan C. Gilly made up the rest of the Board of Directors.
These are the farmers that met in a Chicago hotel room and decided to proceed with the organizing of a Farm Bureau in Cook County. Left to Right, front row sitting: Sam Powers, A.A. Fulton, Fred Hamann, Second Row: Louis Wetterman, Adam Schilling, Arnold Huber, H.A. Dooley, J. D. Bilsborrow, Fred Schroeder, George Henke, and Fred Bachman. Third row: Herman Schwake, Gust Termunde, W.E. Meier, Dan Gilly, John Welinske, Harvey Adair, (man unidentified), Dave Thompson, H.L. Bingham, Ezra McClaughry, Hugh Breyfogle, Edward Fogge, Albert Heine.
Over the next 85 plus years, the organization grew in terms of members, programming, and influence. Office hours and several different buildings have been established over the years in Arlington Heights, Blue Island, Lemont, Rolling Meadows, Tinley Park, and Countryside.