Under an ordinance approved by the Cook County Board of Commissioners, Cook County employers will be required to pay the following hourly rates:
· $10.00 per hour beginning on July 1, 2017
· $11.00 per hour or the greater of the hourly wage set by the Fair Labor Standards Act beginning on July 1, 2018
· $12.00 per hour or the greater of the hourly wage set by the Fair Labor Standards Act beginning on July 1, 2019
· $13.00 per hour or the greater of the hourly wage set by the Fair Labor Standards Act beginning on July 1, 2020
Beginning on July 1, 2021 and on every July 1 thereafter, the greater of:
· The minimum wage set by the Minimum Wage Law or
· The minimum hourly wage set by the Fair Labor Standards Act or
· Cook County’s minimum hourly wage from the previous year, increased in proportion to the increase, if any, in the consumer price index (CPI), provided that the CPI increases by more than 2.5 percent in any year.
There will be no Cook County minimum wage increase in any year when the unemployment rate in Cook County for the preceding year is equal to or greater than 8.5 percent.
Exceptions exist for employees receiving gratuities, youth employed in a subsidized temporary youth employment program, and for individuals working in a subsidized transitional employment program. In some cases, federal law and agricultural minimum wage exceptions may apply. Please contact the Farm Bureau office at (708) 354-3276 for additional information.
Cook County Farm Bureau® actively opposed the minimum wage increase. Farm Bureau policy 78. Labor provides that Farm Bureau supports the minimum wage rate at its current level (page 65, lines 3-4). Cook County Commissioners supporting the increase include: Arroyo, Boykin, Daley, Fritchey, Gainer, Garcia, Moore, Moody, Sims, Steele, Suffredin, and Tobolski.
Farm Bureau members and business owners concerned about the impact of the minimum wage increase are encouraged to contact their Commissioner. If you are unsure of who your Commissioner is, contact the Farm Bureau office at (708) 354-3276 and we’d be happy to assist.
Currently rated by 0 people